Friday, November 25, 2011

Brony Thanksgiving

If you had told me a few months ago that I would be spending Thanksgiving hanging out with bronies and talking ponies I would have laughed. Especially considering last year some friends invited Ben and me to a thanks-vegan celebration that didn't go over very well. However, after the last pony meetup we found that quite a few of us had no real plans for thanksgiving. I offered my apartment, we divvied up the list of common thanksgiving foods and prepared for Brony Thanksgiving. I made the turkey, surprise birthday cake for HipsterDerpy, and fluttershy-themed pumpkin pie. TPGFluttershy made casserole, a feat in itself when it is almost impossible to find anything brand name in the Bay Area, others brought even more food and Apple Cider brought some amazingly good apple cider! After food we chatted, played various games on the wii, and drew fanart until leaving to hit the Michael's (pony crafting supplies) and the 9pm opening of Toys R Us (sadly no blind bags or pony deals).


I'm thankful. Of course I miss my family in Ohio, especially around the holidays! But there is something really special about a group of people that came together because of mutual interest in something as unique as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and can not only pull off something as organized as Thanksgiving dinner, but that we can spend hours hanging out and feeling completely comfortable. Through the brony community I have found a few really good friends and that is something to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment